Monday, March 3, 2008

Walking barefoot.

Aloha!!!
I've had some really amazing refreshing times with the Lord this week.
Well last night as I was having my quiet time with the Lord I felt His presence in such a powerful way it almost moved me to tears. I was reading the book "Making Jesus Lord" ( I recommend you read this book) and what I was reading just hit me so hard. I would really like to share some things out of this book that is changing my life and stirring up more of a passion to know about Jesus in my heart.
In Chapter 2 of this book Loren Cunningham (the author and founder of YWAM) is talking about walking barefoot. Jesus walked barefoot to Calvary. The significance of this is in Jesus's time was that if you walked barefoot it meant you were a slave. A slave had no rights. In the burning presence of God Moses was asked to give up his rights. Jesus became a slave for our sakes. Jesus freely surrendered all of His rights for us. He surrendered the right to a normal birth, the right to marriage and to be with His earthly family, the right to money ( he once had to ask someone to borrow a coin for a sermon illustration), his reputation, but it goes even further than that. Jesus surrendered the right to a normal death. He gave up the right to life itself and became obediant to death on a cross, it was a death reserved for the worst criminals of our day. He was burried in a borrowed tomb, than He tore away His very last right by descending to the depths of Hell itself.
As I was reading this last night I had this unexplainable feeling because I felt like I was hearing this for the first time in my life. It hit me in a way I just can't explain. Jesus gave up everything so you and I could have it all. Jesus wants us to follow him walking barefoot, losing our rights and gaining the world. Only by taking Jesus' example into every part of our lives will we be able to win in life, ruling and reiging in Him.
So this is how it works, God gives us rights, the right to a family, to have good things and many other basic blessings. God is asking us to give Him back these rights because its the only way we can truely express our love back to Him. Being barefoot is the sign of humility, of having given up all. To go barefoot, God promises possession of the nations, to rule and reign with Jesus, the returning King of kings Lord of Lords!

No comments: